After a barrage of action-packed episodes, “Dr. Linus” was a much needed return to the character driven episodes that filled Seasons 1-3. Don’t get me wrong, I love a smoke-filled mass killing episode as much as the next guy, but LOST was a show built on character development ,so I was happy to see it return to its roots. This episode was written to perfection. It had a great character-centric arc, all while finding time to develop a non-centric character (Jack I’m looking at you). in addition, we got confirmations about Richard’s history, big answers about Jacob’s touching (that’s what she said) and a Nikki & Paolo throwback compliments of everyone’s favorite grave digger, Miles. If all that wasn’t enough, Alex looked so smokin that Flocke should have jumped timelines and asked HER to take his place instead of her surrogate dad.
I’ll get straight to the point, I loved that Ben was redeemed in both timelines. After complaining that Ben never displays human motives or emotions, he became a character this week. I think Mile’s insight into Jacob’s last thoughts cut Ben pretty deep and I really believed that Ben was both sorry for killing Jacob and grief-stricken over his daughter’s death. In the flash sideways we get a glimpse of what kind of person Ben could be if there was no island and no pool of resurrection (more on this later). Have I mentioned that everyone but Kate is happier in Timeline X?? Damn you Jacob!!
Lastly, I think it’s ironic that the episode hyped to be the demise of Benjamin Linus, turned out to be the episode that saved his character. As my watching-buddy noted, no one was going to be that heartbroken over a Ben Linus death at this point in the season because he was already character-assassinated by poor writing. Now, however, he is a redeemed character. Welcome back to the land of the living Dr. Linus, unfortunately for you, the LOST writers tend to kill characters after making them likable (see Charlie & Shannon).
Now the quick hits:
- THE GIFTS!! So Jacob can give someone a gift/power if he touches you. He gave Richard the power of agelessness and I’m assuming he gave Walt & Miles their abilities as well. Remember when Miles was thrown into a truck and Jacob’s body guards told him they could explain where his power comes from? They must have known he was J-touched
- Did Jacob give Locke the power to self-heal?? He shouldn’t have survived that fall. Did Jacob give Jack the power to heal people?? Clearly Sawyer got perfect-man-scruff power and Kate got a great rack for a woman so petite (mmm)
- I find it very interesting that Jacob was hoping that Ben didn’t kill him. Jacob knew about the plot but didn’t want to die. Hmmm. And yes we all noticed Ben was J-touched
- Smokey offered Ben his place as the island’s “defense system”. If Smokey was telling the truth then maybe my theory that says Smokey is trapped on the island by Jacob isn’t so bad. Hold that thought…
- We never found out how Ben got off the island dammit! What’s even more interesting is that it appears that Ben & his father left before the incident occurred. I don’t know the nuke going off could have changed things previous to the incident going off. My brain hurts thinking about the implications…
- During the re-showing of “Sundown” there was a pop-up that said Charles Widmore told Locke that “a war was coming to the island and if he (Locke) isn’t on the island, then the wrong side will win”. That made me think that Widmore was on the sub. Stupid pop-up foreshadowing/spoilers
- If Widmore has been working with Smokey, how have they communicated?? Maybe Widmore & Eloise have been working together to get the O6 (Jacob’s candidate’s) back on the island so they can replace Jacob
- Why did Smokey leave the Losties on the beach alive? Even if he has to spare the candidates, why not kill Miles and Jurassic Pork (Ilana, thanks Franny)?
- Move aside John Locke, Jack is the new Man of Faith. The dynamite scene was kinda bad-ass and the coolest thing Jack’s done since getting Sawyer to admit he banged lots of prostitutes in front of Kate
Finally, make sure your seat back and tray tables are in their full upright position because it’s PREDICTION TIME!!
I think that Smokey AND Jacob have to be replaced before Smokey can leave the island. That’s why I think Smokey can’t kill the candidates, he needs to keep the potential replacements alive! I think Smokey killed Jacob because Jacob was being too picky about his replacements. After waiting more than a thousand years for Jacob to take his sweet ass time, a pissed off and island-fever induced Smokey decided to kill Jacob to speed up the replacement process. Jacob said, “It only ends once, the rest is just progress.” I think he is talking about finding a replacement. Maybe Smokey thinks Jacob’s replacement criteria is too tough to fill because fighting get’s a candidate removed from the cave/lighthouse list. Clearly these two are in desperate need of Monster.com
And yes, I believe Jacob wants Jack to be his replacement while Sawyer is Smokey’s number one stunna (along with many women). Interestingly enough Sawyer has been on a island a long time and I think he’s more attached to it than he knows.