A friend and I were sitting around the house lamenting over our LOST withdrawal when we decided to watch the finale again. Full disclosure: I have the series finale permanently saved on my Sally TiVo (yes that’s my TiVo’s name) and I’ve watched it 5 times prior to this latest viewing. Something about this viewing gave me the closure I finally needed to begin blogging about the finale.
The first time I saw the finale I was *extremely* upset that the writers did not answer some of our most pressing questions. Subsequent viewings made me appreciate the finale more but I still didn’t want to admit it was over and there were no more episodes left to answer my questions. I even dreaded blogging about the finale because writing about the episode meant it really was over. Well step aside Smokey Anger and Jack Denial because I’m flash-forwarding to acceptance.
For the most part I really liked the series finale but I still have some Mr. Eko-size issues with it. I think the only fair way to deal with my dual feelings is to give both my good and bad feelings their own blog. Let’s start with what I loved about the episode, or the white blog.
I loved how the “real” timeline was wrapped up and how things were tied up on the island. Jack sacrificing himself for the island was the perfect ending to his charter arch. Jack started as the reluctant leader, became the d-bag man of science who wouldn’t listen to reason, then became the blind follower of faith to finally become the man that finally figured everything out. The irony is that over the course of the series Jack was both the man of science (not admitting there was anything out of the ordinary about the island) and the man of faith (blowing up the nuke because it seemed like his purpose) but it wasn’t until Jack understood that there was a science to the island’s magic (figuring out that the island wouldn’t kill Richard) that we began to love Jack again. Dear Jack, congratulations on the character rebound, on saving the world, and for crying twice in the finale and it not pissing me off.
Believe it or not Jack’s perfect character wrap-up wasn’t even my favorite part of the “real” timeline ending…how bout’ that Hurley!! Part of me was really suspicious when we were told who Jacob’s successor was one episode before the series finale. To the fellow answer-cynics in the crowd it probably didn’t come as a huge surprise that Jack didn’t remain the final protector of the island. That being said, Hurley is the perfect island protector because he was the only character on LOST that didn’t have an agenda. He wasn’t trying to get back to anyone off-island, he wasn’t trying to fulfill an ambition and most importantly he was always looking out for everyone else. Ben becoming his number 2 was also the perfect ending for that character. Ben finally became more than magic-island middle management and a Hurley-Ben leadership allows us to debate whether that would be a better spin-off than the Sawyer-Miles buddy cop show.
And speaking of Timeline-X, I loved that all my questions about that timeline were answered. Yes I have problems with that timeline being purgatory and not meaning anything to the real timeline, BUT I never imagined in 10 Jacob lifetimes that all my Timeline X questions would be answered. All the differences and unbelievable Sun-survivals were explained by the fact that the timeline was completely made up by our Losties. What’s better is that Alt-X gave us insight into our favorite character’s regret’s. Desmond regretted that he was never accepted by Charles Widmore. Eloise Hawking wished that she didn’t stop her son from playing the piano and regretted pushing him to a fate where she would eventually kill him. Jack wished he had a kid. Locke wanted to be with Helen and on good terms with papa con man. We also finally understand why most of the Losties was happier in this alternate reality. Some people have asked me to explain why the island was at the bottom of the ocean in this alternate reality and I usually reply that I think most Oceanic Flight 815 passengers wouldn’t have shed a tear if that island was sunk, especially the ones that didn’t make it off the island.
Finally, it wouldn’t be my blog if I didn’t bullet-point many of the things I loved about the finale:
- Richard Alpert get’s gray hair!
- I like that *some* of the original losties finally got off the island. I wonder what the season 1-vegas odds were those particular characters making it off the island.
- Turns out what happened, happened after all. The Losties caused the incident all along. Again, who could have called that back in season 2?
- I’m man enough to admit I teared up during some of the flashbacks.
- Kiss me James. You got it blonde…
- Once Hurley had his awakening you could see that the character was played as though he was the island protector for a bunch of centuries, great touch.
- Sawyer telling Smokey that there’s a new Jacob in town.
- Frank FINALLY reminding those idiots that he’s a pilot and having him fly the plane off the island is a much better plan than blowing up their best escape route.
- Sun saying “I remember” while getting her ultra-sound. Really any scene with Sun, Jin, Sawyer and Juliet was great.
- Kate telling Jack that she really missed him. That line is so much more powerful the second time you watch it because you realize that Kate escaped the island and likely lived a long life where she missed Jack, while Jack died shortly after they parted.
- Jack and Smokey arguing over whether John Locke was foolish or not.
- Ben apologizing to Locke for killing him. Awkward much?
- And finally, Jack’s eye closing was the perfect way to end the series. In addition to that, how about season 6 beginning with Jack appearing in purgatory on the imaginary flight 815, akaJack’s first moment after his death, and season 6 ending with Jack closing his eyes which would be his last moment of life and would occur moment’s before Jack appears on the imaginary flight 815. Nice touch.
In closing, I like that we got one more moment with all our favorite characters and we got to see them in a little bliss. I mostly liked the finale and happen to like it more and more every time I watch it. I will post my black blog soon detailing all the problems I had with the finale. Stay tuned.